Bailey Marie Bertoch: My Easter Baby

The night before Easter Sunday, Adam and I went for a drive to just kind of relax and enjoy some time together. It was around 10:30pm, and I noticed my stomach tightening like Braxton hicks. I wasn’t in any pain, but I could feel with my hands just a super tightening of my upper stomach and it was consistently about 13 min apart. We went to bed that night and I fell right to sleep, which had not been common lately. At around 3:30am I was woken up by some pain like a cramp, but it was just the one cramp and I went to the bathroom and went back to bed. Adam had also woken up and he rubbed my back a little bit and cuddled me back to sleep. He said that he had some terrible dreams and he has jolted awake and was in protect mode. Around 4:30am I was woken up again from pain that was a bit more intense. I decided to keep an eye on it and time it. After about 7 min another one came and I knew it was contractions and they were not pleasant! Adam was awake and we waited to time them some more and they were pretty consistent. Adam said we needed to get to the hospital (since it was a half hour away) and I wasn’t sure because I was afraid of going all the way out there, only for it to be a false alarm. We took a shower and by the time we were all clean and fresh, they were only a few min apart and getting more painful, so I finally agreed for us to go.

We get there and they hook me up to a fetal monitor and check for dilation. I was at a 1 and a “wiggle” as the nurse described it lol. It was about 7am at that point. I had been a zero three days before, so I was happy that something was happening. The nurse wanted me to walk for an hour and she would check to see if there was any progression, since they couldn’t admit me otherwise. So we walked the halls. I was also there with another girl who was doing the same thing, walking and hoping for change. We sympathized with each other. The contractions keep getting worse and worse and I was excited that things were happening. Then I get checked and nope. Still a 1. I was so discouraged! She said I could try walking another hour or head home, so I decided for one more hour of walking. So with Adam holding my hand and enduring my vice grip during my contractions every 5 min, we walked again. For another hour. I got checked again at 9am and there was still no change. I felt so upset I wanted to cry. So we got our stuff and went home.

The contractions still hurting a ton. I went home and soaked in a warm bath and had a good breakfast. My parents came home from church to see how I was doing and we hung out for a little. But my contractions were getting more and more painful, so at about 11am we headed back to the hospital, crossing our fingers. I get checked and I was a 3!! Haha the lady who checked me (she was also the one who sent me home) celebrated with me and I gave her a high five haha she laughed saying she doesn’t think she ever had someone give her a high five after a vaginal exam haha. Then I got hooked up to an IV and we were sent to my room. By now it is about noon.

I had an amazing nurse come in and give me the low down on how things go. Her name was Lisa, and we clicked right off the bat. She let me know I can have my epidural anytime I want, but I was so nervous that I wanted to wait a little bit. That lasted about a half hour because the contractions were getting so bad. So I requested the epidural, and had the most amazing doctor from India administer it. He was not a man of many words, but he had magic hands haha. The IV in my hand hurt worse than getting the epidural in! It was a weird sensation when the medicine went in, but it wasn’t painful. Adam was in front of me holding my hands, and Lisa was next to me giving me a play by play of what he is doing because I told her I must know every detail before it happens haha. Then she put it my catheter so I wouldn’t urinate all over myself haha. It took about 30 min for the epidural to really set in, but I was still able to have leg function. I could move around slowly and maneuver, which made me really happy because I was so nervous about feeling paralyzed. I then got antibiotics in my IV because I was group b strep positive, but I am also allergic to penicillin, so I had a diff off brand. I needed to have it in my system for at least 4 hours before Bailey was born.

At about 1pm they check me and I am a 4! So they decided to break my water and see if it progresses things. At this point I’m looking at the monitor and watching my contractions but not feeling anything. It was amazing! Lol. At this point, once i was settled in, I called my mom and she came to the hospital 🙂 many people were curious if it was going to be weird having my mom there while I was exposed and everything, but honestly it wasn’t a huge deal. My mom wasn’t weird about it and I’m felt comfortable enough with our relationship that I wasn’t worried. I’m really happy she was able to be there and be a part of the experience with me and Adam 🙂

At around 3pm they checked me again and I was a 6! Things were progressing 🙂 I finally ended up hitting 10 centimeters at around 5pm, but she wasn’t quite low enough to start pushing, so she had me wait and rest for about an hour and she would check again. I could feel my uterus tightening super hard at this point and even though there wasn’t pain, I started to feel some pressure of the intensity. After checking me she felt Bailey still wasn’t quite as low as she wanted, and that she was slightly sideways, so she put some pitocin in my IV to help the contractions work harder pushing her down, and had me lay on my side with one leg in a stirrup to open up my pelvis. She did let me do a couple pushes, but we decided to give it an hour.

At 8pm she checked me and also let me know that my doctor doesn’t usually like to let things go longer than about 4 hours at being full dilated, so a c section was now a little on the table as an option. I needed to birth by 9 or I would have to be prepped. I was so determined not to have that happen. I prayed in my heart for strength to push her out because I really didn’t want to go through all of this, only to have a c section anyway. Well I became the hulk at that point haha I pushed harder than I ever pushed in my life. Adam was holding one leg and my nurse carli (nurses changed shifts around 5, and I loved her! Carli was the hard A that I needed at the end haha) was holding the other. Adam helped support my head while I pushed and both him and my mom helped count for me as I pushed at 10 second internals. Then Carli was like whoa! Her head is like right there! We need to call doctor Davis! She was so impressed that in about 10 minutes of pushing I was about ready to birth her! It was hard though because I had to stop pushing and wait for him because he was delivering another baby at the same time. Her head was literally right there! I was feeling it a bit at that point. I could feel the intense pressure and it was slightly burning where her head was. It was no where near the pain it would have been without the meds, but I def knew what was going on.

Dr Davis finally arrived and I pushed for about 5 min super hard and she was out! My mom and Adam were able to watch her being born and pulled out, and she went directly onto my chest while they wiped her down and everything. They let her umbilical cord drain into her body more before Adam was able to cut it, and she was so beautiful! She immediately tried to lift up her head to look at me and was snuggled right under my chin. I remember looking up at Adam right after she was put on my chest and he was crying and I was crying and it felt like it was just us with Bailey. It was such a special moment, I will never forget that image in my mind. Adam looking down at us with tears streaming down his face, and me holding Bailey while bawling. My mom was also bawling and she was so proud of me. She kept calling me a rock star for pushing her out and she was so happy she got to experience this moment with us. I was happy to have her there 🙂 haha there were tons of doctors and nurses, but it didn’t matter to me. I had my baby.

I had a level 2 tear so my doctor was stitching me up while I was holding Bailey and getting good skin to skin and they were testing her for diff things. I could feel the needle going into my skin during the stitching, and he was pulling so tight that I felt like he was going to pull me off the table! Haha but it is what it is. They gave Bailey a 10 on the APGAR test and everyone was so impressed with her level of alertness and attention. My dr said that a 10 isn’t given easily and that I should feel proud. He also told me that first time moms usually tear more than I did, so I should feel happy about that as well.
Then they whisked her away to be weighed and measured and everything else. She was born officially at 8:31pm after 15.5 hours of labor, weighing 7 pounds 5 ounces and was 19.5 inches long. 🙂 she was brought to me after clean up and she latched onto breast feeding immediately and effortlessly. The nurses couldn’t believe her quality of latching. I feel so blessed. I have an amazing little girl. I couldnt have asked for more. The Lord is so aware of all of us and what we are going through. He has blessed my little family with more than I could have asked for.

We are home now from the hospital. We stayed 2 days to make sure things were going okay, specially since I has tested positive for strep b. All the nurses were so in love with Bailey 🙂 I have been able to breastfeed easily thus far, and she passed all of the tests with flying colors. She is a very chill baby so far and looks and acts just like her daddy already 🙂 I am healing really well. I am not in constant pain, it’s more just a soreness that I am able to keep at bay with ibuprofen. My stomach is still bloated from my uterus, so I probably still look pregnant, but it is going down (specially with breast feeding) and I only have a few stretch marks…so I am thankful 🙂
Adam has been my rock through all of this. I couldn’t have done it without him and his support. He is already an amazing daddy. I love him so much. I didn’t understand what people meant when they said your capacity to love increases….but it truly does! I loved Adam before, but now it’s just indescribable. And Bailey! I look at her and become overwhelmed to tears sometimes by how much I love her and care about her well being. I would do anything for her.
I love my little eternal family 🙂

I also included photos from the day before where we colored Easter eggs 🙂 Who would have thought she would have been right on time the next day on Easter Sunday! She must like to be punctual like her momma 😉

IMG_5574 IMG_5584 IMG_5585 IMG_5587 IMG_5580 IMG_5581 IMG_5582 IMG_5583 IMG_5575 IMG_5576 IMG_5577 IMG_5578 IMG_5579 IMG_5588 IMG_5589 IMG_5591 IMG_5594 WP_20140420_006 WP_20140420_002 WP_20140420_013 IMG_5611 IMG_5606 IMG_5604 WP_20140421_014 WP_20140421_004 WP_20140421_005 WP_20140420_039 10170987_10203497456227852_1509438133921257894_n 1959432_10203497290663713_209936901084266802_n IMG_5613 IMG_5617 IMG_5618 IMG_5623 IMG_5628 IMG_5631 IMG_5632 IMG_5646 IMG_5647 IMG_5649 IMG_5655 IMG_5658 IMG_5664

These are our Bits O’ Bertoch.

Cassie Bertoch

Tagged , , , ,

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: